The Friday before Memorial Day has been declared National Road Trip Day, says nationaldaycalendar.com. Memorial Day is often seen as the official kickoff to summer and millions of Americans take a vacation over the holiday weekend, primarily by car.
As many of you may be planning a Memorial Day weekend road trip, here are some interesting facts about the interstate system that you may not know. Learn more interesting things about interstates in the video below – “The Interstate’s Forgotten Code” created by CGP Grey.
- Interstate numbers ending in zero always travel east/west.
- Interstate numbers ending in five always travel north/south.
- I-90 is the longest interstate in the country where you can drive continuously from Boston to Seattle.
- America’s smallest interstate is 878 in New York which runs under a mile.
- Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico use their own interstate system as they are not connected to the rest of the country.